Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Mach Spitz's Flossed in Space Vol. I and II



I've only known Cory McCallum (aka Mach Spitz) for about a year and a half, but in that time we've collaborated on a few short stories and are in the process of a full length comic that I really should be working on right now. I digress. In addition to being a great writer, Cory's predominantly a musician and has been a fixture of the music community in his hometown of Orangeville, Ontario for close to 20 years. One of his latest projects is creating hip hop under the moniker of Mach Spitz in the group The Beef Chiefs. He recently put out his first solo album (which you can buy/stream at: http://www.beefchiefs.bandcamp.com/) and asked me to create a poster design for it's release (1st image). The idea was based upon b-grade sci-fi posters from the 70s including the fonts used and it's "aged" look. I've often said, it's sometimes a chore to get out of my comfort zone, but it's fun to do so and this was definitely fun.
I moved back into my comfort zone on the second image where for fun's sake I took inspiration from the main image in the poster and gave it the mutated illustration treatment. I saw it as a way of saying thanks to Cory for all the recent collaborations and as an exercise in doing a weird take on a portrait of a real person. I really want to get more in touch with my wacky side and this seemed like a good place to start...

1 comment:

Hyein Lee said...

Lovely!
Especially love the cute record faces :D