Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Back in the saddle again....

Good day to you all and a very happy first day of autumn! The day I've been feverishly awaiting since the first humid spell of late May. As is obvious, I'm no fan of summer and the heat and I find myself coming out of hibernation when the fall rolls around, hence this post out of nowhere after a month of inactivity. What have I been up to, you may ask? Aside from prolific bouts of comic reading and sitting in dark rooms with the shades drawn and AC cranked, I'm going to use this week to get up to speed with some of my late summer art based shenanigans.
One thing common to summer are weddings and this year my wife and I had our fair share, all within a span of two weeks (including two in one day). I sometimes like to give friends a piece as a wedding gift and when our friends Lisa and Kenny legitimized their coupling, they were the lucky recipients of the following:

"Game" FC Giclee Print, 18" x 24"

Both are avid video game types, so I decided to update a piece I'd created a few years earlier for a group show based around video games (see below). It was something I was never 100% happy with and feel that the "mark two" version of makes a bit more sense, even though it's a bit more abstract/absurd.


"Zap" 2 Colour Letterpress Print, 5.75" x 8.75". 2006

I used the above as my initial template in the sketches, but as I messed about with the final, I came to the realization (with some input from my wife) that it worked better if the head was actually an arcade game as opposed to having a guy with one strapped to him. And from there a shining new piece for the walls of newlyweds. I just hope it doesn't scare the crap out of their son....


Bonus sketches!

No comments: